Skip to main content

November: National Novel Writing Month


Take The Quiz

Who will write the next Great American Novel? PBS recently sponsored the Great American Read, featuring 100 of our favorite novels. What makes a novel great? Is it characters, plot, setting or resolution? Is it what we learn about ourselves as a result of reading it? Is it the feeling we have when we think about it? Is it the impact a novel makes on the world or the reader?

Every author has a different explanation on the process of writing. In a TeachingBooks.net movie, Lois Lowry talks about how she doesn't use an outline, but allows the story to move and shape with each new event. Kate DiCamillo shares how she reads her draft aloud--which may contribute to why her books are great read alouds.

And then there is the question of where do stories come from? Jack Gantos keeps journals--boxes and boxes of journals as idea sparkers. David Weisner's newest book, I Got It, came from an idea he had as a child--what happens in your mind can seem much longer than what happens in the real world.

November is National Novel Writing Month. It's a great time to start writing that Great American novel. You can stay indoors in your favorite chair. Get a cup of tea. Use a pencil. Choose your paper. Start a new file. Buy a journal. Write an outline. Inspire your students. Start with one word and the rest will follow.

And try these new books from 2018 about writing:


Cummings, Troy. Can I Be Your Dog? illus. by author. unpaged. Random. 2018. ISBN 9780399554537. Dewey: -E-; IL K-3; RL: 1.9

A heart-tugging dog adoption story told through letters--deeply sincere and almost desperate pleas for a forever homefrom the dog, himself!
Voiklis, Charlotte Jones and  Léna Roy. Becoming Madeleine: A Biography of the Author of A Wrinkle in Time by Her Granddaughters. 162p. Farrar Straus Giroux. 2018. ISBN 9780374307646 . Dewey: 813; IL: 5-8; RL: 5.8. (Also available in audiobook, narrated by her granddaughters)
This elegant and insightful biography of Madeleine L'Engle (1918-2007) was written by her granddaughters, Charlotte Jones Voiklis and Lena Roy. Using never-before-seen archival materials that include photographs, poems, letters, and journal entries from when Madeleine was a child until just after the publication of her classic, A Wrinkle in Time, her granddaughters weave together an in-depth and unique view of the famous writer. It is a story of overcoming obstaclesa lonely childhood, financial insecurity, and countless rejections of her writingand eventual triumph.
Hiranandani, Veera. The Night Diary. 264p. Dial. 2018. ISBN 9780735228511. Dewey: -Fic-; IL: 3-6; RL: 3.8 (also available as audio and ebook)
It's 1947, and India, newly independent of British rule, has been separated into two countries: Pakistan and India. The divide has created much tension between Hindus and Muslims, and hundreds of thousands are killed crossing borders. Half-Muslim, half-Hindu twelve-year-old Nisha doesn't know where she belongs, or what her country is anymore.
Fulton, Lynn. She Made a Monster : How Mary Shelley Created Frankenstein. illus. by Felicita Sala. unpaged. Alfred A. Knopf. 2018. ISBN 9780525579618. Dewey: 823; IL: K-3; RL: 4.0

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Shoe that Didn't Drop

I suppose I've read too many YA novels. Teen angst. Murder. Betrayal. Lies. Or maybe I've been watching too much TV. Yesterday I finished Secret Sisters of the Salty Sea by Lynne Rae Perkins. Not that Perkins is known for stories with tragic events, but in her latest, there's the ocean and a warning to not go out too far. (The girls are safely recovered.) There's an opportunity for two sisters to become enemies, each one jealous of the other. Yet by the end of the book, they are closer than ever. The parents are present--and smart, and funny, and love each other. So why then, was I so worried? THE COVER IS BLUE!  For those of you who've been following me for a while, you know my theory: books with blue covers make you cry. Often they make you sob. I remember when I first connected the dots in 2016 that by the time I got to When Friendship Followed Me Home by Paul Griffin, I was terrified to read it. The cover is blue, the title is blue and there is a DOG on

I'm Back!!

On the road again... After years of publishing on other blogs and websites, I'm back to writing my own. Here you'll find my thoughts on leadership, tips and tricks for busy librarians, and other ideas for implementing in your program. Find out what books I'm loving. Since I'll still be traveling a good bit, I'll probably post some travel tips as well. I'm excited about my next chapter. I hope you'll come along for the journey. Follow me @libdeborahford. Email me at dfordsalyer@yahoo.com